I'm using the PVC pipe to keep the two halves of the ferris wheel in perfect alignment while I drill the central shaft hole
I didn't mind if this was slightly off because I imagined that it would add a slight, interesting wobble to the wheel, but the two halves had to be a perfect match so that the carriages could swing on their bearings and the central hub turned smoothly
I hate perfect symmetry, as is obvious from this
I bolted the two hubs together and then drilled out the central shaft
1 set of legs pinned together, the shaft mounted and one half of the ferris wheel on the main steel shaft. I built it so that I could put it together by myself (I'm 5' feet tall and can't lift more than 45lbs.)
The motor mounted on the wheel. This motor is a current monster, super slow, super strong, but it eats amps, I can't drive it from batteries so the ferris wheel needs to be plugged into a big power supply.
sliding on the 2nd wheel half
close up of the bearing mounts
the 2nd hub
This second 'pin' attaches to the 2nd set of legs. It took FOREVER to find the proper diameter of internal bearings
I'm a terrible TIG welder, I wound up asking for help with welding these pipes together
When the two halves are mounted I put the pvc pipes through the bearing sections so that I could start mounting the carriages.
bolting on the legs
A view of my beaubien studio when I'd just moved in during the Fall of 2012. I was working on a drawing mural at the same time so I fled from the robots for a couple of months.
Mounting the carriages
The carriages swing on hollow pipes shoved through bearings, which in turn are shoved into the bearing mounts and held in place with set screws. Clumsy but effective design
No one ever believes me, but I build things with spines because I miss the prairies, the river valley sandstone cliffs always look like anatomical spines of land leaning hungrily down to the only water they could find.
worktable messes go with deadlines
Porcupine's circuit belly waiting to be mounted
Arduino, L298 motor driver, home-made h-bridge, two boards of diodes for the vibrators and motors
lots of space for air-circulation, huge heat-sinks.
I thought this was a well-designed, but it wasn't. It's far too hard to get inside for troubleshooting
Ideally, the whole structure should swing out so that I can replace different boards without re-building the entire thing.
The Mosfet motor-driver. I really like this, it's stable, simple, powerful
checking everything before I put it in the robot
talking to Porcupine
Mounting and wiring Walker
checking for short-circuits and verifying wire connections before I power stuff up.